View Single Post
Old 02-28-2012, 10:20 AM   #140
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: 72 K20 been parked for 31 years!!

Q-jets work great when set up properly, not something I can do. I can make them work, tuning not so much. They are good for gas mileage with the smaller primaries, then will give you the power you want when the secondaries kick in. There are guys running an old corvette exhaust manifold that has a larger bore and much less back pressure. I'm sure you could find he casting numbers doing some searching around here or just google. I think thay have a 2-1/2" outlet. Not sure if they are a ram horn style though.

I'd bet you would lose at least 25 HP, and similar torque runnning stock manifolds though. Probably not on the low end where most of the driving is done, but top end when it really moves a lot of air. The stock manifolds will basically nullify the advantages of the vortec heads and that fancy valve train you have. You might look up casting numbers for the high power small blocks of the late 60's. Some of the camaros chevelles novas etc also had high power small blocks, just rare. The cost will be high but probably comparable to nice coated headers.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote