View Single Post
Old 08-31-2011, 12:40 AM   #8
SCOTI

Re: Hydro assist brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd65 View Post
Just trying to gets halls outlook on them. I have been contemplating getting rid of the hydro assist brake for the conventional vacuum booster brakes. What do y'all think
It really depends on why you're contemplating getting rid of them. The non-debated 'pro' as others have stated is greater pedal pressure w/less effort vs. vacuum boost applications.

The debatable or subjective stuff:

Unaffected in low vacuum applications? Big cam applications typically have a somewhat choppy, inconsistent idle. I've owned or ridden in more than one car w/a 'big' cam & the power steering was less than stellar @ low speed. That same power steering pump would be what's pressurizing your brakes. Of course this was years ago when I was younger so it was possibly the set-ups not being ideal. My point is I've seen more than one cam grind w/the disclaimer "not recommended for power accessory applications".

Takes up less space? Visually (looking @ the firewall), maybe. Realistically though, where the base bracket of each booster contacts the firewall, they utilize the exact same holes & thus have the same 'foot-print'. You would have several hydraulic hoses running from the firewall down to the front of the motor w/the HB set-up that the vacuum set-up doesn't have. You usually also have a larger capacity fluid reservior that a vacuum set-up doesn't have. Visually to me, those exta items are just as bad as the vacuum 'can' & thus a wash (as well as more places for fluid leaks).

Popular, common swap, in 'other' vehicles? Installing brakes that offer increased clamping force over vacuum in big trucks (or trucks w/large x huge diameter wheels) makes sense. High perf cars w/less than adequate braking systems? Sure. Smaller 1/2 ton swb trucks though? My old 74 could lock the brakes up easily w/ just vacuum assist. Swapping to even more clamping force would have yielded a brake set-up that was too 'touchy' in my application. Locking up sooner does not equate to better braking performance; controlled application of the braking force is better braking.

The HB system is definitely an improvement for many applications; but I don't think it's an 'absolute' better swap.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote