View Single Post
Old 04-16-2017, 01:44 PM   #19
Dannny B

Re: NAPCO C-50 Chevy restoration

At Some time in the remote past, my '65 lost a set of duals. The spindle nuts came off and everything came out. The weight of the truck landed just on the axle shaft. This distorted the spindle tube and elongated the threads. "They" just beat it all back together. It took me an hour each to get the 2 spindle nuts off.
Fortunately, OTC makes a thread chaser for just this problem. It has interchangeable dies for threads from 4 threads per inch to 20 threads per inch. My spindle is 16 threads per inch. The v-shaped guide is made of aluminum so, it doesn't flatten the tops of the threads when you turn it. I just worked it back and forth until it cut the threads deeper into the spindle tube.
I found new / used nuts at an old shop that has tons of stuff lying around.
I made nut sockets for both front and rear. Obviously, you can't go all the way around. The cutter die falls into the key-slot.

For those of you who find yourself taking apart the front hubs, you must removed the 3/8-24 allen bolt in the CENTER of the axle. You must also use the 2 7/16 NC threaded holes in the hub to force off the hub AFTER removing the center bolt.
Attached Images

Last edited by Dannny B; 04-16-2017 at 02:44 PM. Reason: mis smelling
Dannny B is offline   Reply With Quote