View Single Post
Old 10-26-2013, 10:02 PM   #25
ofnaman

Re: '80 stepside swb retromod project

Got some work done today. Had to trailer it into work to use the welder to repair the frame. Don't make too much fun of the welds, its been a while, and I'm not a welder... Anyway, the previous owner had welded something to the bottom of the frame, then torched it off, leaving some holes and the bottom of the frame was questionable so we repaired it. The rear upper shock mounts in the frame were both really badly opened up due to the mounts working loose, so I welded in some grade 8 washers on both sides of the frame to repair it. Then I checked out the the steering gear area of the frame and found a small crack, so I welded that up as well. Next, we cut off the rivets on the rear spring shackles and replaced them with bolts. We plan on lowering it with shackles, and since we were at work I figured I't knock the rivets off real quick with my air hammer verses cutting them off with a cutoff wheel at home. Also took the factory exhaust hanger off of the frame. Now its finally ready for sanding and paint.
Attached Images