View Single Post
Old 06-15-2018, 11:26 AM   #74
cruizin01

Re: '78 K20 to C10. Almost 20 years in the making.

Good and bad updates this week.

The bad first,

The hood I picked up a couple weeks ago and had soda blasted is really rough on the front lip. Once the bondo was removed (which I didn't know about) it was pretty pitted and holey. My body shop is hesitant to do anything with it. So I have a $300 hood that's pretty much junk.

And I cant find anything else decent within an 8 hr drive or so. UGH!

Next, I cant get one of my front wheel and tire assy's to balance. The wheel has a little runout in it but the tire and wheel is calling for over 300gram of weight. So I got Amazon to swap me out on the tire. I hope that solves the issue. If not I dunno what Ill do. Have to try and get the wheel worked on.

The good stuff.

I ordered those cage nuts that were discussed earlier. I snapped them in on the bottom side then used a washer and nut to clamp everything down. These should work well.....if I ever get a hood.

I spent the last couple nights cleaning up the original door lock and painting it. So last night I was able to install it with most of the original rods and clips. I didn't see the need to paint the rods as they will never be seen. I ended up with eBay black exterior handles and locks. The handles are really nice quality for the money. The locks were mediocre but they work. I had NOS gaskets but they didn't fit the new handles that great so I went ahead and used the supplied gaskets.

I had ordered water resistant double sided foam for the rain channel in 1/2" wide and stuck it to the drip rail then mounted in with the new painted screws.

Really happy with everything on the outside of the door. Just need to mount the sport mirrors and the RH door will be done on the outside.