View Single Post
Old 06-15-2011, 12:46 AM   #9
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

Re: NP 205 Rebuild and Info

To begin re-assembly I started with the idler shaft. Here is a picture of how the rear bearing, spacer, and shims came off.

I assembled the idler gear cluster and front bearing to the shaft to check end play.

0.001"-0.002" is the spec I found for end play, and you are supposed to check it in a press. Well, I don't have a press. So this is how I loaded the bearings to check end play. I used a socket to press against the front bearing. After setting my shim pack I ended up with 0.002"

Here I laid the case face down and installed the gear cluster (bigger gear to the front) bearings, spacer, and shims. The idler shaft has to go through all of them so this was easiest.

Next I flipped the case and installed a new washer and nut. Torque is 150lbft. I also used lock-tight on the threads and marked the nut,shaft, and case to catch any movement. The front bearing gets torqued against the case, the rear of the shaft "floats in the bore and the shoulder torques against the rear bearing. If end play is not correct, the gear cluster will not rotate freely or there will be excessive end play after installation. I rechecked end play after torquing the shaft nut.

Next is the idler shaft cover with a new gasket. Note the orientation of the flat on the cover. Torque is 20lbft.

YOU ONLY FAIL IF YOU STOP TRYING

70 Crew Cab Build Link

70 GMC Suburban 4X4 build thread

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205

Last edited by jbclassix; 06-15-2011 at 01:10 AM. Reason: added image
jbclassix is offline   Reply With Quote