View Single Post
Old 11-14-2011, 01:19 PM   #22
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: Polar Bear Suburban

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesburb View Post
Nice looking truck!! I haven't seen a M/T Suburban of this vintage for many years.

Check it out before you buy any parts as the blower impellers are a slip fit retained by this goofy spring/wrap apparatus that doesn't work so well after a few years. Drop the motor down slide the impellers off, clean the shaft, put a film/coating of RTV on the shaft, slide the impeller back on, center it in the housing and let it set. Reassemble it after it has cured and they will stay put for many years to come. The rear blower motor in my Suburban (same motor as yours) suffered this same fate in the donor vehicle and as such, it was not used. This kept the motor in "like new" condition and once the impellers were secured has been working fantastic ever since. Resist the urge to put steel impellers on the motor--they do not move anywhere near the amount of air the ones you have move.

Great info Mosesburb. I haven’t even taken the rear A/C cover off yet to investigate the issue, which I need to because something is rattling around like crazy in there. Very annoying! Thanks again!
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote