View Single Post
Old 07-03-2018, 06:27 PM   #34
ncpetersc

Re: Help a NOOB - A continuing saga

This is buried in my first (way too long) post.

Compression test seemed positive to me. Pretty much 120 PSI across the board, with an odd 115 or 125. Got 130 once, but retested and got 120. I'm hoping this tells me things aren't hopeless at least as far as rings and valves go.

Also, purchased points/condenser today. Wasn't AC Delco; BDC or something? Enough folks were suggesting ignition, and my youTube learning of points sounds like they WILL need replacing at some point even if not the problem now.

I have a timing light, I am just not sure I can keep it running long enough to use; I need a few more hands to apply some throttle maybe. But I can try.

Today's report:
So today I tried to start it when I got home. It took extra cranking but I did not press the accelerator pedal. I could hear it trying so cranked an extra ten seconds. It basically "chugs" to life, it does not fire right up. Under the hood if I slowly apply throttle to probably close to 2000rpm it smooths out and sounds like it could be okay. But if I let it back to idle, it's chug chug chug. After shutting it off I watched the carb for the leak. I will attach pic of area where fuel is leaking. Harder to see on passenger side, but driver side I could at least see the drip, even if it is sort of seeping through a gasket elsewhere.

In the first pic, there is actually a drop in it, it's dripping from right under the screw in the picture. On the drivers side it seems to be seeping out behind that choke mechanism.
Attached Images

ncpetersc is offline   Reply With Quote