View Single Post
Old 07-23-2018, 05:30 PM   #47
BILT4ME

Re: 4x4 steering issue - won't return to center

On the 69+ columns, there is a bearing at the bottom of the column just above the enclosed flex joint and there is a bearing in the column at the top.

If the nut is too tight, it binds the two bearings together and causes resistance in the column. If one or more of the bearings is old, worn, and full of dirt (the lower one usually), it may actually bind up if the nut is too tight. What this does is created enough resistance in the column that the energy being pushed back through the steering gear is harder to overcome, as if you have you hand on the steering wheel to keep it from turning.

I recently did the upper bearing replacement on our 70 GMC K2500 and after I got it all back together, I could feel a "grinding" noise. That's when I realized I should have taken apart the ENTIRE column and replaced the lower bearing as well.

Since my time only allowed to do that much, I'll get to do it again later, but this time with a new lower bearing.

BTW the top bearing was missing a couple roller balls, so I know it was not up to par, but it is just like everything else on this truck from the PO.