View Single Post
Old 10-15-2017, 09:05 PM   #497
evilokc

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

set the mixture and idle using the method suggest by quick fuel. 1) warm up motor 2) in hook choke and install vacuum gauge on constant manifold vacuum source. 3) bottom out all 4 mixture screws and turn out 1&1/2. 4) note vacuum reading and turn mixture screw out 1/4 turn and see if it increases or decreases vacuum. 5) continue this until the highest vacuum reading is reached and then repeat for the other 3 corners until the highest total manifold vacuum is reached. the idle will be slightly elevated by getting the mixture right. tuning the mixture with a vacuum gauge is totally the way to go. I was able to see exactly how each turn of the mixture screw affected the motor. when I started I was at 14hg of mercury and once I had finished the mixture I was at 21hg of mercury. that's a big improvement. the motor smoothed out and the fumes are good too. I reset the idle using an optical tachometer. when I drove the truck I could feel the improvement overall. it also allowed me to feel the short comings. the surging at constant speed tells me that my jets are on the small side. the tip in stumble is still present but was a little improved with the proper mixture. I'm going to call the quick fuel help line tomorrow and see what they suggest for the stumble and main jet size for my application. I'm closer. I found out that you can also use a vacuum gauge to check your main jets too. when the time comes I will be doin that. I may even use the vacuum gauge to tweak my timing.
evilokc is offline   Reply With Quote