View Single Post
Old 12-05-2010, 11:01 PM   #65
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: NV4500 swap is underway

It doesn’t look like it, but my buddy and I got a lot done Saturday. He tackled the rust in the floorboard and I went after retrofitting the clutch master cylinder, which turned out to be an all day event. Got the clutch m/c and hydrobooster mounted, installed the pedal assembly and reinstalled the steering column. Also tied up and rerouted several wires under the dash.

Made a template from the donor truck at the junk yard. It was easier to follow the template from inside the truck

After the firewall, pedals, and steering column was put back together. The clutch m/c almost looks factory! Pretty slick the way the GM engineers had the clutch m/c mounting studs connected to the clutch/brake pedal assembly via 2 rods. It will sure be nice to have a straight clutch pedal again too! The old one was so badly bent, I often hit the dimmer switch when stepping on the clutch.

The brake master cylinder won’t be here until Tuesday. All of the wires going into the cab that run the dual battery isolator, fuel transfer pump, etc have been wrapped with vacuum hose. I prefer to use vacuum hose to protect single wires more than split loom when possible.

Bill cut out the rusty floor board and cab support brace. The truck doesn’t have an ounce of rust on the body but the floor board corners and front cab supports were in need of attention. The floor will be sprayed with Rhino once complete.

Once the rust repair is complete next weekend we'll start stabing the trans/tcase and modify the crossmembers. Until then I am going to start installing the ZF P/S pump this week and get ready to have the medium duty truck P/S lines I purchased from work tweeked to fit the Saginaw steering gear. Wait until you see the size of the P/S reservoir I got! Don't know where in the hell I am going to mount it but it will be awesome, especially when ever I get a hydraulic winch!

Last edited by DirtyLarry; 12-05-2010 at 11:03 PM.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote