View Single Post
Old 05-21-2011, 02:05 AM   #59
Dan in Pasadena

Re: Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window

Well, it sucks to be me right now. I post about my truck on another board and someone who saw the above picture posted THIS:

"Number one, the bolt that retains the spider gear shaft is broken off, did you find the head? Not a good thing to have floating around in there. Number two, you need to rotate the carrier, that's the part that the ring gear is bolted to, so we can look inside to tell if it's a posi. Number three, if you look on the end of the pinion gear it probably is stamped with the gear tooth count. If you had rolled the truck forward or back for enough to look inside of the carrier you could have probably seen the stamping on the pinion. Number four, It should take a little more than two quarts of oil, you want to fill it until a little runs back out of the hole.

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107063

Good pictures...You need to get that bolt out and install a new one. I've seen them after the pin slid out because of a broken retaining bolt, it locks up the rear end and you might as well junk it. Once you remove the retainer don't let the pin slide out and drop the gears. It can drive you nuts getting the spider gears phased where the pin will line up. The rear end in the picture is a posi, you can see the spring in the middle of the carrier. It sucks to reinstall that spring if you have to remove it."

So, EFF me! I'm in for some work. Not tomorrow, but I won't be driving the truck til I get this sorted out. Damn....but I guess its better than a lot of bad cancer in the truck. Wish me luck. Anyone with experience on getting this broken bolt out, please chime in.

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 05-21-2011 at 02:06 AM.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote