View Single Post
Old 12-16-2010, 07:44 PM   #93
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: NV4500 swap is underway

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonessmc87 View Post
Larry, I'm glad you're doing this right before I am. I have a 89 v3500 with the th400/205 combo behind the 454 and the 7 hour ride back and forth to college at 60 mph is getting old, not just for me but for my engine. I bought a nv4500 from a 98 GMC so I can swap the input shaft when I have the opportunity to dump a cummins in it. The trans came with the bellhousing, so I figured I'd get a flywheel for the 2 piece rear-main 454 and a pressure plate for the internal slave cylinder like the 98 bellhousing is set up for. I managed to score the stock hydro clutch/brake pedal assembly off craigslist and I bought this http://advanceadapters.com/product/5401/50-6910.html
for an adapter between the nv4500 and the 205.
Just curious if you had any words of wisdom before I tackle this.

O, and are your shifter measurements from the firewall? Maybe I didn't read carefully enough but I didn't see where the front of your tape measure is.
That sounds like a nice plan. I have an internal slave type bellhousing lying around as well but I am not a big fan of that design as I have seen too many internal slaves leak ruining clutch disks. The internal slaves are also famous for causing stiff pedals when the fluid gets super hot when working the truck hard in hot weather. Even my 2001 HD with the ZF 6 speed gets a hard pedal when pulling trailers on a hot day. Being my ’78 K10 sees a lot of desert off-roading action in the summer I didn’t want to run the risk of overheating the internal slave causing a fluid leak and losing the clutch in the middle of nowhere.

The only words of wisdom is to do a lot of research, take your parts budget and labor time and double it, as something always comes up that eats up more time or cost twice as much. I look forward to your thread once you start your project.

The measurements were taken from here…..
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote