View Single Post
Old 04-28-2023, 09:43 PM   #1
5Tractorguy

HEI Ignition Control Modules Keep Failing- Any Ideas?

About to replace the 5th (I think) ICM in my 1-ton tomorrow. Ever since I rebuilt and installed another engine last November, I've had nothing but ignition problems.

Any ideas as to why the modules would keep failing?

- I started with a new SKP distributor from Rockauto upon the rebuild. Ran well but the advance wasn't working properly... ordered another dist.

- Bought another dist from Summit (part# SUM-850001R) which gets mixed reviews, but gave it a whirl. Worked for a short duration then developed a misfire.

- I began swapping components and new ICM's between these distributors to make one, but the misfire was still prominent no matter what.

- Found an old HEI dist I had kicking around here with 100% OEM old GM electronic components. Cleaned it up and replaced the cap/rotor with a new MSD. Ran great for about 3 months! Then this past week the truck started shutting off sometimes when I came to a stop (thought it may be carb/fuel). Then it just shut off while driving like someone turned the key and wouldn't restart.

- Replaced the ICM- back in business. Made it about 10miles today, came to a stop, truck died, won't restart.

I've been through 3 different distributors, with various OEM parts, aftermarket parts, 3 different cap and rotor sets.

All I can think of is a bad ground in the wiring harness or something is back-feeding into the distributor but that's just grasping at straws. Anyone else have an issue like this before?

Picked up another new module on the way home tonight (truck is beached a couple towns over). Going to swap it out again tomorrow and hope that it makes the entire trip home this time.

5Tractorguy on Youtube
5Tractorguy is offline   Reply With Quote