View Single Post
Old 08-09-2015, 02:06 AM   #117
picklito

Re: My caster mod (with pictures)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakarjax View Post
Mine are TRW 13168A made in USA
Are these the ones at 1.75"? Now I'm surprised that my Moog's are at 1.25". Oh well, doesn't really matter since I'd be drilling anyway. However... for stock replacement parts... what the heck is going on here? I've never seen so much variance in other parts over way too many years. Can you imagine if a non-hobbyist had to have just one side rebuilt for some reason? He could have alignment issues forever and I GUARANTEE YOU that the average shop tech wouldn't be able to find it!

Overall, thanks to the awesome people on 69-72 we've uncovered a lot of good info. Pretty clear now why some are having so much interference. If a guy happened to have 1.75" shafts and tried to do the "3/4-inch mod" he'd have problems. Sounds like, regardless of where we start, 2 to 2.25" is where we want to land (with the real goal of about 7 degrees of caster).

Awesome post and pics, above, by the way. Super helpful. Unfortunately, I'm still weeks away, so I won't be able to post what my stock shafts have for quite a while. Looking at the truck, though, I'm gonna like having the wheel farther forward, despite how small that will be.

If I were a better welder, I think I'd cut the lower arm and re-weld the ball joint mount farther forward. That seems like a better overall mod. I'd like to keep the spring as straight as possible.
picklito is offline   Reply With Quote