View Single Post
Old 05-18-2005, 08:25 PM   #15
chevy72blu

wow. I really feel like a dumbass. I bought them from my "mechanic", who is a friend of mine. He has built some serious hot-rods in his time, but he's an older guy, and hes pretty "old-school". I honestly think he just asumed they were vortec heads because of the bowl design. I only payed him like 150 bucks a peice for them, and he helped me assemble them and put em on. I guess it was worth it just for the experiance, and im sure they flow a little better than the stock "L82" crate motor heads that were on it. I know he doesnt know much about new engine tech, but he sure has made my truck damn consistant. It can duplicate runs in the hundreth's on command. It just upsets me to know how much more power my truck *should* be making right now. I mean, it isnt a slouch, but I wouldnt mind it droppin the ET a little.

We are in the process of putting a motor for it together right now anyway. He had a short deck 427 block that we planned on building, but he decided against it because of part cost. He has a sbc 400 which has been freshly bored to .030, decked, and ready to go. We're going to put a set of AFR aluminum heads on it(2.02/1.80), and increase the stroke. Forged dished flat tops- something to the tune of 10.25 compression, and about 425-430 cubes. It'll still be a reliable street motor(it'll easilly run on 91 octane. And maybe even 89 with some timing taken out)

And the best part is, as long as I do all the work, he isnt charging me a dime for it. He has the parts laying around, and doesnt have any use for em. I just have to give him my motor to put in a car he's restoring as payment!

Thank you guys for the help!

'72 C20 SWB convert. 5 lug, LS1/4l60e
chevy72blu is offline   Reply With Quote