View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 08:41 PM   #5
jdl71

Re: 66 Long Stepside

Here's what I've gotten done lately. Took it to my local tire and muffler shop for brakes and exhaust. Basically everything on all 4 wheels, new hoses, almost all new lines master cylinder was good though. Also new pipe from the manifolds down, dual no name turbo mufflers with turn downs just behind the cab. A bit loud at times in the cab, but boy the 283 sounds good now. All that was quite a shot to the wallet, but well worth it and sorely needed. I also got rid of those hideous white wagon wheels. No offense to anyone that has a set, but I absolutely hate them, and I had no center caps and mismatched lug nuts. Mounted my CL find steels and hubcaps with all new lug nuts from Napa:

Now here's where things might get strange for some. I pulled off the Custom Cab trim and sold it. When I bought this truck I was looking for a longbed fleetside, 3 speed, 6cyl, plain jane truck. Just like grandpa had. Or like the blue one I used to have that's my avatar pic. However these trucks are getting pretty hard to find anymore in decent shape so I bought what I could find and afford and will make what I want. The donor:

The swap:

I'm now one step closer to my goal. I just love these trucks and the GM interchangeability. I'm never ceased to be amazed how easy it can be to swap stuff around from year to year, model to model, etc. One quick trip to the farm supply store for some 4" bolts, fender washers, lock washers and nuts and the bed was bolted down in 15 minutes. Every single hole was in the right place, every frame mount was exactly the right height and in the right spot. I figured it would be way more work than that.

Next on my list is to get my wheels blasted and painted the Saddle (or whatever that gold color is) to match the body, blast the hubcaps and paint them white, and figure out what to do with the bed. I'm kind of digging the old guy's name and address scripting and may just leave it for now.

Last edited by jdl71; 01-19-2013 at 06:44 PM.
jdl71 is offline   Reply With Quote