View Single Post
Old 12-31-2016, 05:15 AM   #156
Super_Dave

Re: 1974 C20 Soon to become a project...

So, the truck is a blast to drive, and as it sits now, I am pleased with the final outcome to date with a few exceptions:

1. The 700r4 works well and makes cruising with 3:73's a blast. However, mileage is still where it was before... 12MPG, which is disappointing, as I was expecting mid teens. We will scope the engine next week and see if we can identify why the OD transmission is not impacting mileage at all. The speedometer and fuel gauge are calibrated perfectly and the taller tires are not impacting the electronic speedometer at all, so they are a non issue.

2. The fluttering AMP gauge is worrisome and needs attention.

3. The etched billet accessories and ceramic headers are ugly to look at, but I fully expect to polish them up just fine during the painting phase.

4. I wish I had payed closer attention to the dash bezel I bought on EBay, as I feel I had to compromise too much to get the Speedhut gauges into the OEM bezel and keep the project on schedule.

Upcoming things:

1. The ugly Can-O-Pee can't go away too soon, in favor of a hard tonneau cover made just for square bodies. It will also hide the gas filler that will be recessed into the bed rail when the blazer tank is installed.

2. A trip to U-Pull-It, as a couple of trucks have arrived and I need to check out a windshield and some sheetmetal that may save me time and money on bodywork...

3. A trip to Manuel to talk about bodywork and paint.

4. Dropped spindles and lowering shackles and spring perches to get me 2.5 in the front and 4 in the rear. When the bed is removed and reinstalled after painting, I will have about a half inch clearance on both sides for the 12" wide tires... besides, it will never see off road, haul heavy loads or tow anything again.

"Life is tough - wear a cup!"
"Old Enough to Know Better - Too Young to Resist"
"Junk is something you will need three weeks after you throw it away."

Last edited by Super_Dave; 12-31-2016 at 05:20 AM.
Super_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote