View Single Post
Old 07-22-2013, 08:53 PM   #62
brimc

Re: 86 Silverado K20 12V CUMMINS Build

So tonight I got the cross member all bolted in place with the 20 new grade 8 bolts. Used some blue thread locker and torque wrenched them down. This thing is super solid now!

I also bolted the front springs onto the frame for the final time.
NOTE: The stock spring shackles are temporary. I will make a new set at least 1" longer and will be 1/2" wider and made out of 3/8" material. I may wait until I see the ride height before I do though.
So next I started to install the front Axel.

I use the engine hoist for just about everything.

Just have to keep fishing it into place by unhooking and hooking back up again.

Then just lift it up into place. Line up one side first then the other.

Then just draw it up tight against both pins.

I pulled it up tight until the frame started to lift off the saw horse at the front. Then started bolting on the new U bolts.

I lined it up best I could and just did about half torque for now until I get all the weight on the springs. Then I installed a second nut to make the spot to cut off the excess bolts as they are too long for me.

All 8 cut off and sanded down.

Now just a few pics of the cross member and front Axel installed for I hope the last time!

Now I can install the engine for the last time, get the hubs, brakes and tires on and I have myself a roller real soon. ( I hope ) Can't wait to fire this thing up!!

1986 Chevrolet K20 Silverado 12 Valve CUMMINS P Pumped Intercooled/Getrag360/Divorced NP205/10B/14BFF Detroit Locker - DD Canadian Winter Beater.

My Chevrolet CUMMINS Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=585509
brimc is offline   Reply With Quote