View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012, 09:00 PM   #77
lowrollin70gmc
Too many projects

Re: The Dakota Cadillac (68 K20 w/ Cummins)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRENCHBLUE72 View Post
Nice burb other than the mirrors and caddy lights.. I am really digging the rest of it..
You and me both! As soon as the metal work starts on this the mirrors and lights are going back to stock (stockish for tail lights...).

I finally uploaded pictures of the clocked transfer case and twin stick shifter. For the shifter I used an aluminum shifter meant for a stock car 3 speed transmission and some rod ends and rods to go to a few plates I made that fit into the shift rails of the transfer case. The rubber hose is on there to prevent rattles as the rails are close to the trans and floor but don't hit under normal circumstances. Transmission mount will also be redone with a fresh shipment of 2x2x.25 wall and some universal poly bushings for more support on the frame.

The hardest work was fixing the floor work the previous owner did as well as the extra room my trans and t case mounting took up. Most isn't too noticeable and will never be seen once I put insulation and a floor mat back in it.

I also got Off Road Designs crossover steering kit as well as a rebuilt late 80s 2wd box. No pics of it yet, but everything is rattle canned and ready to go. Pics will eventually come when installed.

To complement that kit as well I got a Captainfab's power steering adapter bracket. True, I could have made something work myself as there were a few spacers between the current box and frame. Unfortunately there are multiple holes in my frame and I have sheared two bolts off on the box due to hardware loosening rapidly. No amount of loctite or a torque wrench could stop this from happening and safety is paramount.

I opened the box and thought there must be some mistake, why is jerky in this box? It's not jerky, but a vacuum packed bracket, hardware, and instructions. Great detail and I'm very happy with the quick ship time and quality.

Hopefully after this next week of nights replacing a natural gas turbine I'll get the time to set up the front D60 and get the driveshaft lengthened. My 63 was not the greatest on ice and snow for some reason. Alas, the 63 will be torn down and sent to the body shop for the winter.
68 K20 Suburban 12V Cummins/NV5600/NP205/D60/11.5AAM 3.73s "Dakota Cadillac"
63 Chevy II Nova Coupe 250 I6/T56/4.56s "Economy car"
53 Willys Wagon 350/NV4500/BW4401/HP D44/9inch “Winter Wagon”
30 Model A 16 Focus ST
lowrollin70gmc is offline   Reply With Quote