View Single Post
Old 05-19-2016, 10:33 PM   #74
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: 85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

Man, I though Amazon Prime was quick. I ordered my last batch of parts from Summit on Tuesday morning. They were all in stock, and shipped out of the Georgia warehouse that day. Its Thursday, and they were under my port-cache today when I got home. Now thats what I call service.

I new I didnt have enough time to work on clearing a spot to pull the bed, so I decided to take on a small task instead. When I picked up the sway bar, the seller used a sawzall to cut a section of the old frame out under the sway bar clamp stands. For those that dont know, the clamp stands are rivited to the frame.

Working with such a small piece of frame, I didnt think I could secure in my vise well enough to use my air chisel to remove the rivets, so I decided to drill them instead. I used a small bit for a pilot, then my Milwakee Uni-Bit set to take the rest out. If you dont own a good quality Uni-bit (Step-bit) you should invest in one. With the aid of some drilling lubricant, the bits cut through the rivets in short order.

The bolts were mismatched, so I dug through my spare bolt bin to find a matching set of bolts, washers, and nuts. Then I spent some quality time at the blasting cabinet getting all the rust and grunge off. They are all blasted clean, and ready for a coat of paint.

Sorry, no pics tonight. I'll get some in the morning when I spray the color on.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote