View Single Post
Old 09-20-2014, 01:35 PM   #17
CustomCab66

Re: Best Product for Cracked Steering Wheel Repair

Hey everyone,

I'm currently restoring the deluxe wheel for my 66 custom cab. The epoxy I used was this stuff called Quick Steel that can be purchased from almost any hardware or auto parts store. You simply cut off a piece of the epoxy stick role it and fold it between you fingers and apply. As with any crack repair whether be it plastic or steel, the crack needs to be removed completely to stop the crack from traveling. On most of these steering wheels the cracks are deep, so deep that the crack will travel to the steel core of the steering wheel. I used a die grinder with a carbide burr to v out the crack until the crack is no longer visible, even if that meant grinding all the way to the steel core. After that I applied the epoxy forcing it deep into the crack filling it in completely. The toughest part of the restoration was sanding and reshaping the wheel spokes where they meet the steering wheel hub. Here's a pick of my current wheel restoration that had been repaired improperly before and it just re-cracked. I used Dupli-Color Perfect Match part # BTY1610 (Desert Sand Mica @ Autozone) for the color which looks to be spot on with the original color. Still not a bad looking wheel I will find a better looking steering wheel next time before I do any repairs.

Here's a tip: FYI when applying the epoxy shape it as close to the original contour of the steering wheel before it sets up. Bad part is most of these epoxy products set up in 3-4 minutes. The closer you are to the original contour the easier it will be during the sanding and reshaping.
Attached Images

Last edited by CustomCab66; 09-20-2014 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Additional info
CustomCab66 is offline   Reply With Quote