View Single Post
Old 09-19-2017, 03:46 PM   #539
72K5CSTDarkOlive

Re: Attempting my first build 72 K5

Thanks all for the support. I appreciate it the suggestions and everything.

So here's the latest.. Good news - I know what the problem is.. Bad News - In order for me to run mechanical pump I would have to change camshafts..

I removed the fuel pump and pressed the pushrod up against the cam and held it with pressure using my thumb while a buddy cranked the motor over for about 20 seconds.. There was NO pressure.. I called Motor Works, gave them my build number and told them what was happening. The cam that was built for my motor does not have fuel pump eccentric lobe so it will only work with an electric fuel pump..

Problem is.. I ordered this thing 3 years ago and even worst, I went through a middle man (west coast engines). When the order was placed it was originally for e-pump. I called Brady (west Coast Engines) and told him I wanted to run a M-Pump and he said no problem.. He must have not communicated that back to motor works.. I don't have this in writing (email) bc I called him on the phone to let him know I wanted to run a m-pump..

I have two options. 1. Use an electric pump 2. Put in a new CAM.

First one sounds like the easiest and quickest solution. However, bc I have pre-bent SS lines, I will have to remove this and create a custom line myself and place the e-pump somewhere down along the frame rail..

The second option only sounds enticing bc I would opt for a bigger lift and duration.. Might as well right since you're going to swap cams..

Decisions decisions decisions...

I could run an e-pump for now just so I can get this on the road much sooner. and if I really don't like it I could change out the cam some time down the road.. seems like a lot of work though

Build version 2.0: 72 K5
6.0 LQ9, 4L80e, NP205
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=793192