View Single Post
Old 03-14-2018, 11:02 AM   #6
Driver_WT

Re: Rear differential suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyblue View Post
Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely check out the calculator....
Roger55 sorry if this is a silly question but what is the reasoning for a 60' s rear over the original if they can alter great ratios?? Easier to find parts or can the original not be geared the right way?
Driver_WT I have only spoken to one build guy in my town, have several others to interview,
so far but he encouraged me to stay away from suv rear ends saying he finds them more problematic and week. But you have good luck with the Ford?? I understand their are thousands of opinions so curious of your experience....
Thankjs again!
I currently have a rear end from a 1995 S10 in my truck. It is not strong enough to handle the torque of my engine. I am on the hunt for a Ford Explorer 8.8 rear end with 3.73 gears for added strength. If you want more info on this, Google "Ford 8.8 rear end for Chevy S10) and you will see that many Chevy owners have installed an 8.8 rear end in their Chevy trucks. The Ford 8.8 rear end was used in many Ford vehicles and it is a strong and reliable piece. I have one in another project vehicle and it works great. I am recommending one from a 1996 to 2001 Explorer because it is the right width for a 1953 Chevy truck.