View Single Post
Old 07-29-2017, 06:52 PM   #1
81turbota

New 71 Blazer owner - vague steering bump steer

Hi everyone,

I'm the proud new owner of a 1971 Blazer. I have been having a blast driving this thing topless in CA. I have currently restored the dash and done some basic tune up and maintenance.

This is my first solid front axle vehicle, I have plenty of Chevelles, Camaros, Trans Ams etc prior to this. So this is not my area of expertise.

The truck drives great (albeit slow).

-unknown 4" lift
-33" tires

Symptoms:
-steering is nice and tight most of the time
-cruises 65mph no problem, very smooth. If I hit a bump on the highway it can get a little nerve wracking as the truck will wander a few feet and I can't anticipate where.
-steering wheel rarely centers at the same spot; I'd hit a bump or pothole and after correcting the steering wheel is pointed in a different direction when going straight. Always bounces between the 9 and 3 o clock positions.
-when I hit a bump, the steering seems unresponsive until the vehicle settles.
-if I hit a bump mid corner (slow speed), the truck feels like it momentarily understeers and pushes through the corner, once it settles everything steers normally.
-I noticed the tie rod is bent near the steering stabilizer

Troubleshooting performed as of now:
-jacked up front end and checked for looseness in ball joints and tie rods. Everything is nice and tight.
-checked tightness of the steering box, nothing loose or cracked
-nothing binding in column
-body mounts are absolutely shot, that's the next weekend project
-front spring bushings falling apart, going to repair those along with the body mounts
-the pitman arm and drag link seem to be at an extreme angle. I just ordered the Skyjacker CA50 dropped pitman arm

I've included various pictures as they speak a lot more than I can.

Thanks for your input, I'm very happy to have one of my dream vehicles!!!

81turbota is offline   Reply With Quote