View Single Post
Old 03-21-2017, 08:16 PM   #65
dmjlambert

Re: Hard start question

What have you tested so far after you changed the headers to manifolds? Is your starter too hot to touch after running the engine a while? Now you probably have room for a sheet metal heat shield to experiment. And you have room to poke around and do things like supplement the pos and neg battery cables with additional jumper cables from your truck battery. Is changing your timing still solving the hot start problem but that leaves it set to an unsuitable amount of advance? Have you checked that your distributor vacuum advance is doing anything at all? You should be able to see that with a regular timing light. Disconnect the distributor vacuum advance and plug the port on the carburetor that you disconnected it from. See where the timing is. Reconnect the vacuum advance to a source of ported vacuum. At idle, the timing should not advance. Connect vacuum advance to source of manifold vacuum. At idle, the timing will advance. To tell the difference between the ported and manifold vacuum ports on my carburetor, I held a small piece of paper up to each port. If the paper does not stick to the port at idle, but it does stick at higher RPM, it is ported vacuum. If the paper always sticks regardless of RPM, it is manifold vacuum. If the paper never sticks, the port is something other than vacuum, such as bowl vent. For your hard start problem, it seems to me connecting vacuum advance to ported vacuum would be a good idea, if your vacuum advance works at all.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote