View Single Post
Old 12-01-2013, 08:18 PM   #7
mac808

Re: My Porterbuilt Experience...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennett68C10 View Post
First off I have to say that you have a beautiful truck. I love the color combo of the Red with the white grill. I'm really thinking about painting mine the same. You definitely chose right going with Porterbuilt and can't wait to see the final pics of your truck aired out. I'm very happy with my Porterbuilt purchase and even though I did go with dropmembers, the install was very straight forward with hardly any modifications needed besides a little welding for the rear bag mounts. This is a testament to how well the Porterbuilt products are made, everything fits as advertised.

Like you said though, going with dropmembers does make you have to raise your bed floor, change to different inner fenders and relocate your battery. It isn't for everybody and I think you made a great choice with your kit. I haven't driven my truck yet but from everything I read and hear you will love the way it drives. Nice job with the install pics, keep it up. Can't wait to see it finished.
Thank you very much for the compliment! I greatly appreciate it. To be honest, I have gone back and forth on painting the white front red but I have come to appreciate and love the 'original' factory look of the white front. I really love the white on red contrast with a bit of the trim in between.

It's great to hear your satisfaction and positive experience with PB as well. I can't agree more on the quality, fitment, and ease of installation with these parts. I actually thought to myself, 'if all of the PB components fit this well and are this easy to install, going to a full dropmember wouldn't be so initimidating'. Alas, my better judgement got the best of me and I stopped myself from going further into that train of thought (till later, at least...). For now, I'm very happy with the 'mild' set up. I'll definitely have to check out your PB build as well so when the time comes for the dropmember upgrade, I'll know who to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t76turbo View Post
Beautiful truck.

And thanks for the post. I do wish PB would include instructions with their parts for those of us who aren't as well versed in where everything goes. I will be installing my PB stage one rear and adj trac bar soon. (Will be followed by stage 1 front soon after and maybe control arms). Will use your thread plus others for the locations and orientation of all the parts. So thank you for doing it!
No problem t76turbo! I'm glad that my thread can be of some sort of help or reference. I know there are some of us out there that need just a little bit of visual reference, since, like you said, PB kits don't come with any instructions. Although to be fair, PB kits are pretty straightforward and simple enough to figure out what goes where. Even with the 50 bags of nuts and bolts that all start to look the same. Looking forward to your install of your Stage 1 parts. Oh, and just my .02; go with the inch forward arms if you can. Totally worth it! Centers the wheel in the fender well and increases castor. Feel free to ask if you have any questions or need any pics and I'll help you out the best I can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
Excellent thread!
Thanks for taking time to document each process with text and photos.
I run between 40-50 psi in my rear bags on my 2wd blazer.
Please post up some photos at ride height when you are done.
I found I needed 2" lowering blocks on my blazer.
Not to allow it to lay out more,... but to allow a lower ride height with the correct amount of air in the Slam Specialties RE-7 rear bags.
Beautiful truck.
We definitely need more "before" pictures of the entire truck!
Thanks lolife99!! It is the LEAST I could do for all the info and knowledge all of you forum veterans spew out on a daily basis to help the forum out! I will have pictures of the truck in the second post for the PB front install to show how it sits on the bags(minus the bed). I'm not running a pressure gauge on my tank with the AccuAir setup so I don't have exact psi figures to compare. I basically set the tank pressure to 200psi and just let the eLevel sensors do their thing and hit the preset height settings for me. I may add a pressure gauge later just to have an idea of where its at but for now, I'll let the AccuAir system manage everything. I'm very impressed with how 'intelligent' the technology is on this system, but more on that later.

I am running a 1 inch block for my set up as well, just so I can get a little more, as you mentioned, 'useable' bag height when its at drive height. The bag cups help in that area a bit as well(going without the bag cups was an option but it a) required drilling more holes for the airline/mounting holes and b) it would reduce my travel by the amount of the cup, leaving me with less range to play with).

As for before and after pics, they will definitely be coming! I'll have a half completed shot without the bed at the end of the second part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman3 View Post
Mac, thanks for posting this info, it will be a great help to people wanting to know how things fit. Will be waiting for the second part...Jim
You're very welcome Jim! As I mentioned earlier, if this could help just one person who is wondering about fitment/orientation or how the PB stuff actually looks, works on our trucks, I would be very happy. I know I would've loved to have something like this as reference when I was trying to decide on what direction I wanted to take. I'll be posting up part 2 shortly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72BlckButy View Post
Awesome build. Can't wait to see some more before pictures.
Thank you! Its a huge compliment coming from you! I've read through your entire build and was truly inspired by it, as I'm sure were many others. Whats funny is your truck was actually the nagging angel on my shoulder to keep it at a clean, simple, static drop. I kept going back and forth whether to go lower or keep it at the static height. There are so many perfectly stanced static dropped 4/6, 5/7 trucks on here and I too was trying to leave well enough alone, but seeing awesome trucks like Sylvester go down just that extra couple of inches on bags sealed the deal for me. And with PB having such a bulletproof reputation for quality, it wasn't too difficult for me to pull the trigger and go with the devil on my other shoulder.

I'll definitely be posting up the before/after pics once the bed goes back on. In the meantime, I'll post up a bed-less stance shot of the completed PB suspension install with the bags installed.
mac808 is offline   Reply With Quote