View Single Post
Old 03-10-2019, 01:55 PM   #66
89AKurt

Re: I'm legit again, my "new" '68 LB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoStopN View Post
Well, it is literally like pulling teeth.
Glad you got the pun!

Yesterday I made things that didn't cost anything. Materials sourced from scrap piles, a neighbor, just some time. I discovered the front bumper was held on with only two bolts, so found two bolts in my stash plus had ordered two bumper bolts from LMC.

First up, getting a useable mirror on the passenger door. The previous owner got Pep Boys junk mirrors, he admitted the right side was a joke. I've read the mirror threads here, people complaining about the bad repo quality, and not made in the USA. So, I used my dada's WW2 vintage dogtag stamp set to add MADE IN USA. The "S" is trashed, so used the U twice. LOL

Used the best Crapsman materials available, Liquid Nail (left over from remodeling the house), and bailing wire. Cut down the plastic mirror base.

Put the scrap steel in the vice, and hammered the bends with a half jack sledge hammer. Ground the leading end into an aerodynamic shape. LOL Used Pep Boys screws in the same holes that were added previously. Mesquite wedge was also glued in, and aluminum duct tape is over the wound. Cut a cork gasket. I can easily remove this when I get "real" mirrors.

Neighbor installs cable TV around the state, gave me some grounding wires used for making up the boxes. Bolts found in stash.

I made a thingamajig to get the grounding strap onto the engine. Hope these help with the flickering headlights.

This is what I love about working on my truck, can get away with murder. It's not going to be a trailer queen!