View Single Post
Old 07-21-2018, 09:38 AM   #40
special-K
Special Order

Re: 4x4 steering issue - won't return to center

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMC-YA68 View Post
I have lived with it. Changed out joints etc. The sticking out on the front axle is common on these, (just the way they are). I have contemplated taking my hydroboost off and seeing if that is the issue or not. Just haven't had the time. Nobody up here will touch them at an alignment shop except to adjust the "toe"
Ever resolve this problem? I have a similar problem with my '72 K2500. I have owned it since '04 and when I test drove it I commented on how it wanted to wander. The guy said I'd get used to it . Bought the truck and did tie rod ends, drag link ends, and ball joints, still wandered. I have serviced the bearings regularly and they are in good condition with proper adjustment. It had hand me down tires the whole time I've owned it till last summer when I put new 8" Wheel Vintiques and Goodyear Duratracs. Way back when I was checking play with someone working the wheel and noticed slop at the sector shaft/pitman arm. I replace the pitman arm with a good one and installed a rebuilt power steering box a friend gave me, with little use, when he went to crossover. I did notice the shocks it came with were way shot so attributed all this to the road steering my truck due to the shocks and uneven tires. But with all that new it is no better, if not worse. It's a real workout keeping it straight. I never had this in the many K/20s I've owned, but my next consideration is going to crossover steering to see if this is all bump steer. It does do better on the flat hiway, but I am still constantly correcting.

Neither of us have touched our axle u-joints. I never figured them in since this is all in 2wd. But they do steer with the truck 100% of the time and I guess they could be binding. Easy enough to change, so I'll try that and try putting another steering box on. That has been on a long time and maybe it was worn or not rebuilt well

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote