View Single Post
Old 11-27-2013, 08:49 PM   #26
gearboxx70

Re: Home made burb headliner

While FRP is a great product for the headliners, its not the only game in town. I work with some cool plastics at work that come in different textures and colors.

One of those products is ABS plastic sheet. Many automotive parts are made from this, and it comes in several colors. The texture isn't as "thick" as the FRP, and its easily molded to shape with a heat gun.

Another one is "Sintra" (aka; expanded PVC). This also comes in many colors, but is much smoother than ABS or FRP. Its also easily molded with a heat gun.

We get both of these products from a company called Interstate Plastics, which is a national company.

I plan to use ABS for my Burb when I get around to making things pretty.

As for insulation, I'll be using R-Max from Home Depot. Lowes carries a similar product. Its basically rigid foam that comes in different thicknesses. The half inch should be perfect.

My plan is to coat the roof with some POR-15 (to get rid of the surface rust and yet leave some tooth for adhesive to grab), glue up the R-Max, and put up the ABS like others have done with the FRP.
gearboxx70 is offline   Reply With Quote