View Single Post
Old 11-02-2010, 03:07 PM   #103
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Re: ** YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN** The truck Chevrolet should have built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
I've actually thought about doing a steel inner if I did this project. I wonder if you could take another roof skin from another burb, or the left over from the rear of the cut off area that is not used at all, trim it down and use it? Maybe put some bows in there first, tack them to the outer skin and the inner top of the burb roof to cab framing. Then place the trimmed burb roof skin in and pre drill some holes to be able to spot weld to the bows. This would be real easy to do if you have a way to stand the cab up on its back or flip it on its side I think. IDK, just some ideas I have been tossing around.
It will be a ton of work either way to get a smooth headliner.

A traditional vinyl one with bows like a 60's car used would be easiest. Just bend up some 1/4" rod to the contour you want and mount them with clips in the center and receiver pockets on the edges to hold them in place. Hand it off to an upholstery shop and let them have at it. The edge trim may take a little work but nowhere near what the smooth headliners would take. The upholstery shop could probably take care of the edge trim too.
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote