View Single Post
Old 06-08-2012, 11:04 AM   #54
VWNate1

Post Re: Brake bleeding trouble... FIXED !

Glad to hear of this .

FWIW , in these trucks , the original brake adjusting slot was on the outer face of the brake drum , you had to dismount the wheels to adjust the brakes , not a problem as this was only done during routine brake shoe relacement then the self adjusters did the rest .

For those who don't know , the self adjusting brakes are operated by backing up then stopping sharply ~ every time you replace the brake shoes you should also take the time to clean the threaded brake adjuste and lightly grease the threads with white lithium grease .

If the edges of the adjuster star are rounded , it's because the adjuster was too stiff to turn and self adjust ~ lucky for you , this is a cheap part available in any FLAPS .

What *I* do is : drive to a local steep hill , drive to the top then back down and brake hard to a complete stop several times , this will bring the most out of adjustment brakes right into spec. in 99 % of all vehicles .

I just received Motive pressure bleeder from JEGS and will try to get my big brother to come over and take photos of how it's used next week or whenever ~ it's dead simple and cheaper than paying the garage to do it once , plus you get to keep another tool and can make $ and freinds with it for the lext 10 years .

I hope all here know to never turn the brake drums ? .
'69 C/10 shortbed sidemount survivor 250 L6 W/ 350TH
VWNate1 is offline   Reply With Quote