View Single Post
Old 04-16-2018, 08:58 PM   #47
special-K
Special Order

Re: Dana 44 Front axle no oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike16 View Post
so... just for clarification. you Never want to jack up the truck under the differential. and now you know why. under the spring pads one side or the other or both but never in the middle under the diff housing....

you can for the sake of argueing here on the board. but when you got to buy a new differential it makes sense. better to buy two floor jacks at 19 bucks each rather than a 500 dollar differential. Of course I could be wrong.
I wish you would have told me this 40 plus years and possibly as many as 40 trucks ago. I never knew this was a bad idea since I never had an issue what so ever from it. At this point I'm pretty sure it doesn't hurt a thing. Just did this very thing today and it's always been how I jack up the right front. I go under the diff in the rear to jack the entire rear end up as well. To be honest, of all the people with 4wds I have known or talked to, including here, this is the very first cracked differential housing I've ever seen

I see an axle truss and I suspect this truck has done some hard wheelin'. Probably gotten air a time or two or smacked a rock or two. The truss ain't so pretty either

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote