View Single Post
Old 04-22-2002, 02:34 PM   #5
chaptr2

I am doing what you are doing right now. I don't have access to a scanner, so let me do the best at explaining what I have.

For the front I have used the 2-inch drop springs and KYB shocks (bought from Mothertruckers.net). I would have used other type of springs and shocks, but really they don't make(front street/strip,springs/shocks)for our trucks.I have heard of nova springs in the front and Vega springs in the back, but that was used for drag racing only. Not knowing what it would do, I decided to give up the race springs in front (only sacrificing a little ¼ mile time) and go with more conventional springs. The rear is what I wanted to do just right. Someone had posted a picture of a 68 Short box Stepside pulling the front wheels off the ground. I emailed him to find out what he was using. He used Hal coil over shocks for the rear and that was it. The guys didn’t have the part numbers to coil overs he was using. This was for me to figure out I guess. He also mentioned along with a few board members to weld up the seam of the rear trailing arms or they will break. I took them to my father’s shop so he and I could weld and box them in. We made sure that they won’t break or twist, plus I was able to get the added weight I wanted for the back.

I called up Ed with Mothertruckers.net and worked with him on it. He wasn’t sure exactly what springs for the coil overs and shock length to run, but he said we would work on it. I ended up measuring my shock length expanded and collapsed so I knew what to get. I think they are the 14 in expanded and 10 and 1/8 collapsed. I placed the order with Ed and man did he kick the snot out of other people’s pricing!!

The springs I found out this weekend, they were way too weak. I need a much heavier spring for the rear of the truck. I am now in the process of ordering the right springs. I have also put in a new adjustable pan hard bar in and will finish setting it up when I get the right springs for the coil overs. With the shocks adjusted up, I doubt that there will be a problem in the corners or on the street.

1.Welded and boxed in Trailing arms with new bushings
2.HAL Coil over shocks
3.Adjustable pan hard bar
4.A posi
5.Some expendable cash!

By the way my truck is a supercharged 388 so I understand trying to plant my rear tires! Email me if you have questions.

------------------
Supercharged 388 stroker in a
70 GMC Shorty step side
72 K/5 Blazer

70 GMC Short box stepside Blown 388 Stroker
72 K/5 Blazer 350/SM465/205
chaptr2 is offline   Reply With Quote