View Single Post
Old 03-30-2012, 06:56 PM   #120
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Markeb01 Build Thread

Thanks for the comments guys. It’s funny I was teasing my wife the other day about buying another old project truck. Her response – “Why, you can’t finish the one you’ve got”! Zing!

I didn’t have a bracket available to mount the forward end of the throttle cable. I looked through everything Edelbrock had to offer and didn’t find anything that looked suitable. A couple more hours of internet searching turned up this Holley/GM bracket. Holley part number 20-44:

Of course like most street rod parts it couldn’t be installed without modification. My Edelbrock carb is mounted on the 4 outboard mounting studs which wouldn’t work because of the anti-rotation tab over the outboard mounting hole in the bracket. No problem. I pulled the carb expecting to add a second stud into the inboard mounting hole. Imagine my enthusiasm when I got the carb off and realized the Performer RPM manifold I’m running only has the outboard holes!

Here’s the normal Performer intake mounting flange with 8 stud holes:

And here’s the RPM version I have:

Back in the house for more another search, and another hour wasted not finding anything better. More time spent trying alternate orientations I ended up back where I started. The final solution was to flatten the anti-rotation tab and drill the outboard hole in the Holley bracket. But I still needed something to keep it from rotating under pressure.

Years ago I installed an Edelbrock bracket kit (350-8036) for my Turbo 350 kick down linkage:

Currently the main bracket is bolted to the intake manifold and the upper left square attachment is used for the cruise control. A simple solution was to add a small plate between the cable bracket and the kick down bracket providing a solid anchor.

Subsequently I discovered Holley part number 20-88 which would have bolted to the outboard stud and saved me at least 2 hours of freezing my ass off in the garage sorting all this out.

As a side note the Holley 20-44 bracket has the worst gold cadmium finish I’ve ever seen. It’s swirly black instead of gold colored. At first I thought it was a customer return with grease all over it, but it was just a horrible plating job. Because I wanted the truck back on the road it got used regardless of the appearance.

Final notes - the standard 1972 350 cable is actually several inches too long for my application requiring a pretty severe corkscrew routing between the firewall and the carburetor. Apparently my engine is closer to the firewall than a stock 71-72 C10. The 4x4 version is shorter, but I don’t know by how much. It might have been a more suitable choice, but OEM versions are claimed to no longer be available.

In order to keep the cable level with the throttle linkage I added an Adel clamp to the kick down bracket which also removed any strain from the factory cable/bracket attaching grommet.

Installing the cable grommet into the square bracket hole was a nightmare. If I ever have to do it again I will modify the bracket first, angling the square entrance slot to more closely resemble the factory GM approach as shown on this Monte Carlo bracket:

Here’s what the engine side looks like all back together:

I’ve decided to go ahead and order the 71-72 pedal pads with the stainless trim. As soon as they show up and get installed I’ll post some update photos. The Chevelle pad will get added to the parts collection.

Last edited by markeb01; 03-30-2012 at 07:49 PM.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote