Thread: Napco questions
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2015, 02:14 PM   #4
Hblee

Re: Napco questions

This is all interesting. I think that the 3.90 was the highest ratio offered, 4.57 and 5.14 were optional. I really don't have a clue what gears are in this thing. I read that the 3.38 gearset from Patrick's and others will work but I would end up spending a bundle changing them over plus the other parts. I've also read the NAPCO front axle had some oddball brakes from a Studebaker (??) and some of that stuff is hard to find. Even if the NAPCO stuff had the 3.90 gears the 265 would be wound up going down the road.

I'm not sure yet, I've always liked the NAPCO trucks but I also like BBC, auto, p/s and p/b, a/c and being able to go on a short trip.

Thanks for the replies and advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purcell69 View Post
If it is a true NAPCO, "NAPCO" will be cast into the axle housings and transfer case. Like was said above, the gearing is not highway friendly. An acquaintance had one that she drove every day to school back in the day. At 45 mph, the motor was wound up pretty tight. As I recall, the gear ratio in the axles was even higher than 4,56, more in the neighborhood of 5.xx so even a tall tire is little help.

A few weeks ago I found a set of axles and transfer case on eBay out of Wisconsin. The seller was looking to get $1500 just for the parts. From a collectable standpoint it works be cool and worth saving from the scrap yard. As a driver, you'd be better off switching to modern axles if you want to build a 4wd

-Joe