View Single Post
Old 11-07-2018, 07:27 AM   #4
Phungki

Re: What’s the most practical way to swap engines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebte View Post
What engine is currently in the GMC? Ether way your doing a big swap going to auto and power steering.
Are you on a budget? I like to think we all are, if your wanting to go cheap you could buy a doner vehicle and swap all the engine and trans stuff. That could be an LS car or and older TBI or carbed vehical. If wanting all new, I would get with a supplier like CPP and get all the conversion items needed. Power steering box and pump, disk brakes, crossmember. Look at some of the build threads and get some ideas.

What rear end is in the truck? The stock gears if 3.90 or 4.11 should be OK with an OD trans but if 3.38 it may be a little doggish.

Hope this helps. I used a 93 GMC parts truck and swapped the tbi engine and transmission stuff into my 59. Nothing was bolt in as much as I would have liked it to be.
It currently has a 6 cylinder. Well...most of one 😄. I’m not sure what gears are in it. I’m on a budget but not a time line. I like the idea of a donor vehicle. What engine/tranny combo did you get out of your parts truck? I’ve noticed there are “bolt on” motor mounts for a 350 in these trucks. Don’t know how straight forward those are.
Thank you
Phungki is offline   Reply With Quote