View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013, 06:22 PM   #43
jkeating1

Re: 'Wintergreen' 1969 GMC Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty_67 View Post
I Haven't %100 decided yet but as of now I'm thinking...

Inside of outer fenders Green
Inner fenders black
Rad support black
underside of hood Green
Firewall Green

So a pretty much stock scheme.

There will be more green on the engine yet. The Intake will be green with polished ribs (if you do a quick search on LT1 intakes you'll see what I mean) and the valve covers will also be green. Not sure with the valve covers whether to use the same paint as on the engine or actually use the paint going on the body. I'm leaning towards body, just because they will be more prominent, but then again they'll be siting right beside the intake.... decisions decisions....

I was also trying to find green sparkplug wires, but haven't had much luck. So will probably go with black or grey.
I'm right with you on everything. I may have a black air cleaner where you have the green/polish option on the top. That seems to make the black inner fenders a correct choice for me. Glad you said that about the valve covers, because I'm planning on green OEM's too. For what it's worth, IMO, black is the way to go on the wires--make them disappear. IMO, same way with the battery--as near all black as possible (unless its an Optima, maybe). Of course, standing there looking into the engine bay for months gives the builder the best vantage point to pick colors, so you'll have it perfect when you get to that!

It seems nitpicking to labor over a seemingly small point, but I've seen a lot of engine bays of all styles that really nailed it for their particular theme. Others, not so much. When you venture away from Chevy orange, its easy to go awry! BTW, I love Slick67's choices. I envision mine similar, but all green instead of his pearl orange (and without his trademark breather).

Thanks for your input!