Thread: Johns 66
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2017, 12:09 PM   #137
Johns 66

Re: Johns 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPowers View Post
Looks great.
Thanks Duane...Slowly but surely its coming along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Looks good

Just a friendly warning. With a flat tappet cam engine, you really do not want to start the engine and just run it for a little bit. You really should perform the cam breakin the second the engine fires. Failure to do this greatly increases the chance of a cam and lifter failure. That would mean a complete tear down, a thorough cleaning and reassembly with new rings, bearings, cam and lifters.
Thanks for the advice John....It ran for about 30 seconds or so just to make sure it was in time and would crank.....When I get the new water pump painted and installed back on it Im gonna fill it back with water and anti freeze and then get it running correctly, set the timing by a light and ensure the carb is set up and dialed in.....Luckily for me the man who built the motor is gonna come over and help me get it broke in correctly....but he wanted to ensure it would crank before he came over. I asked him the same thing about starting it up the first time and he told me that as long as it didn't run for more than a minute initially that I should be good to go...so keeping fingers crossed on that point
Johns 66 is offline   Reply With Quote