View Single Post
Old 02-19-2015, 05:00 PM   #67
05snopro440

Re: S10 Frame Swap w/ AD and LS motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlorber View Post
I put the '54 cab onto the S10 frame. I left about 5/8" behind the cab for the gap, which is where my S10 bed bottom now ends (i.e. where the new bed front will be located). This determined how much of the S10 bed would be sectioned out (roughly 5 1/2") leaving me 82 1/2" total bed length". Now I just have to section my bed sides to match what I have sitting on the truck, assuming the fenders line up as I stated above.

So in other words, the S10 bed bottom essentially stays where it originally was (i.e. cross members bolt to the chassis as they used to, except for the front one which is now relocated). With the rear of my bedsides aligned with the S10 rear cross sill, the fenders APPEAR to be properly centered, but I will need to bolt them back onto the bedside and mock them up to verify. I hope that all makes sense.
I think I understand now, and I hope I'm wrong but I think you're in for some heartache doing it that way. If my comments are off base you can ignore I'm just trying to help.

You might want to check out the following two documents.

Page 4 of this one: S-10 Vehicle Information Pack
Page 60 of this one: 1954 Restoration Pack

I hope the measurements of both bed length and the distance from the center of the wheels to the back of the bed help make this more clear. You're trying to match the floor of a bed that's 80" long with 45.6" behind the wheel centers with the sides of a bed that need to end up somewhere near 78" long with 42" behind the wheel centers.

All of these swaps that I've seen need to have the rear of the framerails bobbed, and it seems like you haven't done that. As a result I think things aren't going to line up correctly for you. What we did was figure out where we wanted the wheel center in the fender, then find the measurement from there to where the front of the bed needs to be. Once you know that, the difference between that and your original bed measurement is how much you need to shorten it, then you'll also be able to figure out how much you need to bob the framerails and in your case the rear of the bed floor.

My '46 GMC on Photobucket
05snopro440 is offline   Reply With Quote