View Single Post
Old 06-07-2009, 01:42 PM   #222
rfmaster

Re: Tbi swap build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by brontotx View Post
Pancake: I modified the stock TBI manifold to fit the older heads and it was a pain in the azz. The only advantages I see to using the stock manifold are that it is available everywhere and dirt cheap (usually included in a "system") and makes the throttle linkage line up. If you are using a 700R4, it also ensures the TV cable is in the right spot.

To modify the stock manifold, the two center holes on both sides of the manifold need to be oval-ized to allow the different bolt angle to line up with the holes in the heads. I tried using a cutter in a die grinder to enlarge the holes, but the cutter I was using quickly loaded up with aluminum and was worthless. I didn't have any other suitable cutters for the die grinder, so I used a coarse rat-tail file and filed the oval holes by hand (15-20 minutes per hole - phew!). Second, you need to compensate for the different bolt angle and how the four center bolt heads seat against the manifold. The shims you showed in Post #172 will work - that is what I used on the passenger side. On the driver's side, I could have also used the shims, but instead used a 4-1/2" cut-off wheel in my grinder and carefully changed the angle of the manifold so that the center bolt heads would seat flush.
100 percent in agreement with brontotx- its a royal PITA. Get carburetor to TBI base adapter plate and save the headache. You have to take a look at your current TV cable brackets very closely (especially if you have 700R4, geometry must be right!)

TV cable geometry is critical - incorrect setup you can kiss your trany goodbye. I had to do some minor fabing (I used Holley 300-49 intake with 1" spacer). Throttle cable bracket came off some early 80's carbed car.

Rear view

Driver side back

TV Cable side view

//RF

1975 Chevrolet C20 longbed
350/700R4! with 3inch body lift
Dual Flowmasters Super 40's!
TBI retrofit completed (2007-07-29)
New 383CID (+030) 08-304-8 9.5:1CR x36,005 (2012-12-17)
rfmaster is offline   Reply With Quote