View Single Post
Old 06-09-2018, 06:24 PM   #354
HO455
Post Whore

Re: Working Man's Burbon

I had been driving the Burban to work every day (which for the last month has been every day) and now that the floorboards aren't vibrating from the carrier bearing and drive line, the noise from the rear of the truck was much more apparent. I dropped the WMB at Six States to have them go through the rear end. (At the recommendation of a board member. My old rear end expert retired and moved somewhere dry) I wanted to be confident I could hop in the truck and drive to Seattle if I needed to and I wanted confirm if the ratio was a 3:55, as the PO had said, but I had doubts. I dropped it off at 7:30 in the morning and at 8:30 they called me to say there was about 500 pieces of the carrier sloshing around in the bottom of the axle housing and one of the axles were junk. They were unable to pin point why the carrier was disintegrating but the left axle had lost a bearing in the past and the PO had put a bearing saver on the axle to but it was too far gone to work over the long run. He had also put a bearing saver on the other axle but nothing was wrong with it. After removing the bearing saver the axle checked out and was reused. When I asked about the ratio I was told it was a 3:07. (Which helps to explain the lethargic manner in which the truck accelerates) At this point I got lucky in that they had a used posi carrier and a set of 3:77 gears they could put in the truck for me. So now with all new bearings, one new axle.and a new ring and pinon the truck is SO quiet and smooth. With the exception of the posi is very grabby and causes the truck to shudder more than any other posi I have ever experienced. With about 125 miles on it it seems to finally be getting better. I talked with Six States and they had me bring it by and put some more posi additive in the rear end and want me to call then if it isn't better in the next 100 miles. The hard to believe part of this is the old ring and pinon show no damage. I wish I would have thought to get a picture of the remains of the carrier. It looked like it was disintegrating. Just waiting for the posi issue to get resolved before going out and seeing how much quicker the truck is. In addition to everything else the speedometer is now correct or at least very close. Win! Win!
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote