Thread: Welding Advice
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2015, 02:40 AM   #3
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: Welding Advice

For Mig welding, there is a pretty large gap in the entry level equipment cost. There isn't a single GOOD welder that is 110v ready, and under $500. There will be people who say they bought some unknown brand and it worked great, but theres more to consider than that.

You want a welder that has serviceable parts that are readily available. That puts you down to Lincoln, Hobart and Miller. If you want 110v, that narrows the models from each company (give or take the year-to-year variations).

Miller and Hobart each made 2-3 welders that are MVP, which means 220 and 110v compliant. I know Lincoln makes at least one. There aren't many 110-only welders...most are either 220 only, or 220/110 MVP.

The Hobart offerings are Miller units, with certain optional parts being a little cheaper. Guide wheels are poly instead of brass, the trigger/gun quality is a little lower etc....but the quality of the welder is comparable, and many of the wear parts can be upgraded or interchanged. Hobart/Miller has the 211MVP which is also the 210 MVP from the other company; both are selectable voltage welders with a range of wire feeds, a gas regulator, high quality internal parts, a good trigger, a good warranty, and the ability to use a spool gun. The main differences are the auto-selecting feed rate on the Miller, and a few small internal parts.

For my budget, the 210MVP was hard to beat for around $800. It works plenty well at 110, and great at 220. I've done everything from sheetmetal to frame work on it, and its been fabulous.

Keep in mind, there are just some things that don't jive well on 110v. I find 220 to weld easier, regardless of the material thickness.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote