View Single Post
Old 07-26-2020, 12:32 AM   #10
burnin oil

Re: Stroker or Roller?

You guys are all about roller cams. They are an improvement over old tech but what are you gaining over a flat tappet cam that the OP stated he didn't care about max RPM. This is a truck motor that won't have super radical ramps or intensity. There is nothing to a 4500 max RPM motor that a roller is going to bring to the table over 33 cubic inches. For what he wants either will make 20 inches of vacuum and idle smooth as silk. Neither will beat up valve springs. Are you guys that afraid of the newer oil? If that is it when was the last cam you lost? I know that oil isn't what it used to but I am more worried about the crap gas we get now then flat tappets in a 9:1 motor. I run a solid lifter circle track cam in my truck and haven't pulled a valve cover to adjust them in 3 years. Delvac has done just fine lubing it for the engines life. Now if we were talking above 300HP I can see stepping it up when the OP would be taking advantage of the roller properties such as improving the amount of time for valve duration while reducing overlap and increased valve lift but those don't factor into this build or justify purchasing another block and flywheel. Heck i would put the money toward better heads than 76cc chambers and bump the compression while using a $100 cam. Please don't take this as argumentative but as a total disagreement on ways to spend money on the OPs build since he stipulated budget.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote