View Single Post
Old 06-05-2020, 12:58 AM   #9
jarrodblake

Re: One wire Alternator with a twist and other wiring harness qustions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
20B/w and 18B wires are for your battery gauge. It is an ammeter that measures the current going toward your battery during charging, and measures the current discharging from your battery when you are running accessories without the engine on. A necessary part of the ammeter circuit is an approx 6 ft section of 12 gauge wire that goes between the alternator and battery as shown in the factory wiring, I've highlighted it here in yellow.

Attachment 2021688

The ammeter measures the voltage difference between each end of the highlighted wire, and that is translated to amps. Your new wire arrangement does not do anything useful for the ammeter, so you can remove the 20B/w and 18B wires with fuse holders.
Thank you, I did not know they were for the amp gauge that is good to know. I am going to be doing the 76+ volt gauge conversion to my cluster as the dodge alternator is around a 120 amps. From what I have read the stock amp gauge will not support 100+ amps and could burn up the gauge or start a fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
OK the 20W/OR/PPL cloth covered wire that has faded to plain white, which went to the ignition coil, yes it is a resistor wire. So you've replaced it, with a 12 gauge wire, but where does it go in your new engine? I think most folks would replace it to provide power to an HEI distributor on a gasoline engine. That yellow wire is not needed for the starter.
Yes I have read most people use it to run a HEI, I need a switched 12v power wire for my sensing wire for the alternator. I figure it would be the best wire to use as it would best represent load on the fuse box as in the fuse box it is a 12 gauge wire and it has nothing else on the circuit and would show the load on the fuse box as a whole. I was wondering if I should fuse it. But after more reading it needs to be unfused as if the fuse where to blow it would cause the alternator to send full power to try and make up for the loss of the sensing wire.

I am however considering using it as a switched power source to power the relay box. I don't know how many amps are needed to switch a relay on, but from what I have read I can use as little as a 4 amp fuse. So I don't think it would affect the sensing wire enough to matter?
jarrodblake is offline   Reply With Quote