View Single Post
Old 05-09-2011, 09:30 PM   #11
derotoreut
Roto Reuter thats the name...

Re: Brake warning light help.

Still working on this problem with no luck yet. Thanks for all your help.

Do you have the ignition switch mounted so that it is grounded to the frame and back to the battery negative As I mentioned before the ignition switch was prewired by Painless and I just plugged it into my ignition switch. I did however install a new switch. Is there something I should do differently to ensure it is grounded to the frame and back to battery? If it helps I did install several ground straps throughout the truck. One from engine to frame; one from frame to inner passenger fender; one from frame to bed; one from cab to frame. The only one I haven't completed is engine to firewall.

You have got to check the continuity between the key switch body and the terminals where the brake light and the temp light connect to the key switch when the key is turned to start. Otherwise you won't know if the two lights are grounding. It wouldn't make any sense to run the wires to the key and then to the console if the key switch wasn't supposed to ground the wires. They would have run them directly to the console. Yes I will do this. I thought I did it today, but I didn't check it right. Sorry, I'm not really electrically savvy. I will try again tomorrow.

My question is just like Longhorn Man said " if you have a gauge dash why do you have a temp light?". You can have both but you have to have two senders and the pins in the console plug have to be rewired. I'm not sure! I attached pictures of my gauge panel with the brake light and temp light grounded so you could see it. I have the seven gauge panel. It also has brake light and temp light at the fuel gauge. I thought this was how this panel was configured. My pins in the console plug have both gauge and light going to it. Let me know.
Attached Images

1970 SWB Fleet K10 4X4, 5.3L LM7, 4L60E, Dakota Digital RTX, Vintage Air, Ididit tilt
1971 SWB Fleet C10 - Original SWB Arizona truck, new custom restoration project

"Kick out your motor and drive while you're still alive - kick it out!" - Heart 1977
derotoreut is offline   Reply With Quote