View Single Post
Old 06-02-2015, 09:39 PM   #232
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: Polar Bear Suburban

Quote:
Originally Posted by capone550 View Post
Larry I hate to bug you with too many questions, but youre the only guy I know that will probably have the answers. I have a 2002 8.1 that is going in my 88 R30. I do have to pass emission here in Boulder County. I talked to Air Care COlorado about the swap and all they could tell me is I have to have all the emissions equipment the vehicle came with for that year.The vehicle would get a waiver and have to pass for that years standards. Being that I am going to have a stock computer to do emissions with and another with the howell tune, it should pass with flying colors. This engine should have an EGR on it, but the block off plate on it sure looks like a factory unit to me. My question is, how would anyone tell if it was a 2006 or a 2002? I will install cats on it, but not sure if I should do EGR even though it has a factory looking block off plate.
Sounds like a cool project. Well, there really isn’t any way to determine the year of the engine as they are not stamped anywhere on the physical engine that I have found. I’ve heard what some people are doing in CA is providing the CARB coach with the VIN from the donor vehicle. That is mainly in CA, not sure what CO will require. Luckily we don’t have any emissions in Pueblo County. Regarding the EGR block off plate, there is a very good reason it looks “factory”… because it is. Only 2001-2003 L18’s had EGR. 2004-2010 were not equipped with EGR.

Here is an excerpt from the GM Powertrain 2004 Model Year L18 Summary regarding the removal of the EGR:

EXHAUST GAS RECIRCULATION (EGR) ELIMINATED
The EGR control valve and plumbing have been removed from all Vortec 8100s. The EGR system was used to recycle some exhaust gas back into the intake stream to cool combustion and reduce oxides of nitrogen (NOx) emissions. Data from development and durability test vehicles indicates that software refinements in the P59 PCM, and the engine’s overall efficiency, allow the Vortec 8100 to meet all 2004 North American exhaust emissions standards without EGR. Removing EGR reduces cost, complexity and potential warranty claims, improving both assembly efficiency and reliability.

The EGR block off plate is GM part number 12559976 while the gasket is 12580673. Just remove the EGR and add the plate and gasket. The studs and nuts can be retained.

Not sure if you ran across THIS thread but it is a great resource on all things 8.1L related. There is also a very good group on Facebook dedicated to 8.1L swappers. The page is called “8.1L Info Swap Classifieds”. Tell Ed, Larry sent you.

Good luck with your project.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote