View Single Post
Old 10-08-2013, 04:50 PM   #96
sparkydog

Re: Porsche 944: Actually there is a substitute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
Can you use the porsche strut in the mustang tower? It was made for a similar ride height but has shorter towers. Or are there other fords with shorter struts, like the focus or even other brands of car that have shorter struts? Just modify the mounting point on the towers to match the shorter strut style.
Yes I am headed in a similar direction to what you said. The main choices I have are 1) shorter strut units that just bolt in, 2) modify a strut to change the location of its bracket on its body, 3) aftermarket drop spindles or 4) a combo of 2 or more of the other choices.

4" drop spindles would solve everything but I do not believe they exist for my model and if they do then the old economics thing comes up (they are expensive). I have been doing a little web research and I may be able to get most if not all of the 3-4" I want simply with another PN strut unit. I for sure can get 4" if I do a combo of using a different PN along with some slight mod to the strut mounting bracket. If I go this route I will first get a set of the new PN out of the wrecking yard and make sure it will really work, then buy a new set.

I will be proceeding with the graft of the Mustang engine bay metal over to the 944 bay. The stock Mustang struts and towers will come along and will initially be tacked into the 944 at correct ride height which will reveal the exact amount the struts are too tall. Once I have a workable solution to shorter struts I will figure out how to section (lower) the strut towers without messing up the suspension geometry.

Last edited by sparkydog; 10-08-2013 at 05:02 PM.
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote