View Single Post
Old 03-03-2016, 07:41 PM   #467
dug224

Re: Dug's 1959 Fleetside

Kim: And it seems to keep getting worse.

Ricky: Yeah, that was a pretty serious dent. You did a great job pulling it out. The metal bumping book you recommended has really helped me understand what I am supposed to do....I just have to do it.

To keep from buying another piece of welding equipment, thought I would just buy the stud tip for my MIG or just simply hold the studs and weld them on manually. Figured I would buy the attachment for my slide hammer that fits over the studs but can't seem to find one anywhere on the internet. Harbor Freight sells the studs and stud welder but no way to yank on them.

I cut the old bedside inner panels off today. This exposes the inside of the bullets for better access for metal work. In addition, I cleaned off the driver side bullet and found less than 2.5" of somewhat clean bullet from which I can make a template. Figured I would have my buddy cut a fairly heavy metal template for me to beat the bullets into for a consistent radius.

The more dents I uncover the more I am seriously considering doing the remaining work in 2 phases. Phase 1 will be finish installing the bed, welding all holes and cracks, replacing the cab corners, steps and passenger floor (material I already have) and banging out both bullets and the roof. Put a cheap paint job (maybe even with some very mild fake patina) on it and start driving it. Once I finish the house, Phase 2 will be straighten it better and doing a real paint job on it. Decisions decisions....
Attached Images

dug224 is offline   Reply With Quote