View Single Post
Old 12-17-2023, 06:55 PM   #28
TX3100Guy

Re: Eliminate draft tube options

Quote:
Originally Posted by leegreen View Post
probably the gears have to come off, its been a long time

you could remove front mount and spin the pump with a drill down distributor hole to help confirm the source

I think the front mount bolts through block would have originally had nuts inside the block, and threading the holes was a common shortcut to allow easier removal of the mount plate. you said that you retapped for larger bolts,
and it sounds like the leak has gotten worse since you started working on it....maybe some thread locker for sealant on those 2 bolts before ripping it all apart again?
Lee you may be onto something. I clearly had a leak, but not a fountain of oil, prior to my work on the bolts at the bottom of the timing cover. I just watched another video from the guy's that I posted above and saw the nuts that you are referring to in his video, what a dumb ass way to secure those bolts! Clearly the bolt that were previously used didn't have the nuts on them, which is highly likely given the previous owners rebuild that he had done.

When I tapped to the next larger bolt size, I did put a fair amount of RTV on the bolts as I installed them. I've been thinking that when I tightened them down I may have over tightened them, creating a larger leak if that plate is loose at all.

My plan is still to insert the dye, run for a few moments until I see the drip start, then look closer for a source. In my mind, I have already reconciled that I'm going to be disassembling the radiator, alternator, compressor, etc. to get to the timing cover. It's a mindless chore that I don't enjoy all that much, but its absolutely going to be necessary.

Thank you for all the input.

My 1953 Chevy Work-In-Process Photo Gallery

"I don't have a carbon footprint, I drive everywhere."
TX3100Guy is offline   Reply With Quote